EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Pawel Karwowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 20:04:46 +0200
>On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Martin Deporres wrote:
>You do understand this, Wei--that there are many people on this list with
>academic credentials far exceeding your own who have devoted
>a good portion of their lives to the study of Pound's various follies--they
>know everything of which you write, every delicious little morsel of opprobrium
>by way of Pound's politically idiotic stances, and yet they still find
>themselves in thrall to his poetry. Your endless repetition is I would
>imagine an ever-widening chasm of boredom for them as it most certainly is for
>me.

Mr Deporres

Ezra Pound in ABC of reading said once that vast majority of people does' not
realize that THEIR country & THEIR language it's not everything available on
this planet. (Or something like that - he knew what he was talking about after
learning so many languages).

Can you imagine Mr Deporres a continent inhabitet by 40 (maybe 60) nations and
ethnic groups. 35 countries, countless ethnic heimats and vaterlands - do you
know what I am talking about ? yes you are right !!! - I am talking about oooold
good Europe

the continental Europe.

I've been reading those "people on this list with academic credentials" far
exceeding Wei's as you said since 2 years but my opinion is slightly
different, I mean opinion about Wei.

Because Wei is CURIOUS. He demonstrated ENORMOUS CURIOSITY in Pounds poetry,
(or rather Pounds crosscultural affiliations, - I think Mr Donald Wellman
explained that perfectly- I recommend carefull reading of his mail- it is one
of the best published here, especially sentence : "I found it interesting, that
Wei came here from different cultural perspective" - does it not sounds strongly
different from harsh and arrogant voice I've heard from you Mr Deporres?
But what if people from asian societes grow up in environment that demands
ATTENTION from EVERYONE eh ???, maybe they talk much to each other (to much
for a british patience, but how can we know it ???)

To me Wei is undisputably one of few on this list who can understand (on the
poetical level) parts of the Cantos written in Chinese language.

As to introduce myself - I am simply a poet who is using provencal idiom in
my verses (in polish language).

I really dont know, but I suspect that the guy responsible for the presense of
Chinese scientists (and provensal-idiom poets) on this discussion list is
obviously the ugly Ezra Pound. I am not supriced Mr Deporres that leading
country in Pound studies are the USA, because E.P. was an American poet and
thousands of lines in The Cantos prove that for the all long years he has spend
in Europe he was thinking about his homeland and he loved that land very, very
much, but -  Mr Deporres
in another places in the world some people are interested in Pound's
poetry TOO, so can you forigive us this funny, little piece of ignorance? Do you
think that you are not an ignorant ??? Dont you think that we all live in the
Era of Ignorance ???

You probably would like to kick me out of this list also, but luckily you have
no power to do that and I have a slight impression that if there is no place for
chinese scientist and provansale-idiom silesian poets on E.P. discussion list
so there is no place for Ezra Pound too.

What for E.P. commited the Chinese section in the Cantos ? Do you know the
answer ? Is that question interesting 4U at all?

Once again - it was E.P. first who became interested in the orient. So why
Pound schoolers make the impression that they dont know about it ?
Why you ignore Wei ?

 Regards.

Pawel Karwowski
Wroclaw/ Breslau