EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
En Lin Wei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 07:39:38 GMT
JB wrote:

<<if my position was any clearer, I'd be a stone etching. . . .>>

I think your position could be stated more clearly, using quotations from
Pound's work, from Pound's sources, or from historians who wrote about the
periods covered in certain cantos.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe you have produced any
evidence (and very few arguments) to sustain your position.

You seem to be offended by the posting of any significant amount of material
which challenges your viewpoint.  Why?  Why should you take personally an
analysis of the ideological, political, and social implications of Ezra
Pound's work?

Why should you take offense simply because the evidence I present, or my
interpretation of said evidence, contradicts your view?

This is a DISCUSSION LIST, after all.  Any worthwhile discussion will
inevitably involve the contemplation of viewpoints which differ from ones
own.

There should be no difficulty in looking at Pound's writing and coming to
different conclusions regarding its significance.  What for instance should
we make of this quote:

  And as an American I do NOT want to see my country
  annihilatin' the population of Iceland, as the British
  annihilated the Maoris.  And as for the Australians, they
  deserve a Nippo-Chinese invasion.  Criminals were their
  granddads, and their contribution to civilization is not so
  much as to merit even a Jewish medal.  Why the heck
  the Chinese and the Japs don't combine and drive that
  dirt out of Australia, and set up a bit of civilization in those
  parts, is for me part of the mystery of the orient.
   And in any case I do NOT want my compatriots from
  the ages of 20 to 40 to go git slaughtered to keep up the
  Sassoon and other British Jew rackets in Singapore and
  in Shanghai.  That is not my idea of American patriotism.
    (Doob, 21).

This passage could be interpreted in any number of ways, and it touches on
several important issues, having to do with imperialism, Pound's views on
British, Chinese, Japanese, Australian and American culture, how notion of
"patriotism", and his attitudes toward Jews.

Come to your own conclusion of course.  But please put forward, some
evidence, some quotes, or some arguments if want your position to be
clearer.

Regards,

Wei