EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Bray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 14:17:18 -0800
At 08:54 PM 1/22/00 -0500, pcockram wrote:
>As one of the people on the list conversant in electronic media, I would be
>willing to contribute.  I'm in the midst of job-search hell, but I'll start
>thinking about it.

Er, gentle metapoets, speaking as one whose whole life is the construction
of websites, and technologies and standards for use therein, I counsel
caution.  A website should be launched with a degree of caution and
seriousness appropriate to its subject.  Thus if a group of buddies wished
to launch a website dedicated to the clothing practices of Britney Spears,
why not just do it?  If you lose interest and the site falls into disuse
and abandonment in a year or three, no great loss occurrs.

But a site about a subject as monumental as EP should be, well, monumental.
I.e. it would need careful planning and in particular must be built in such
a way that its contents are likely to be there, and in the same place,
for a really long time.  To do otherwise would be a betrayal of the
scholastic tradition.

The construction and maintenance of such a website takes quite a lot of
expertise, also technology infrastructure, also [blush] money, and
finally, and most difficult to obtain, sustained and disciplined attention
from one or more people who have technical insight and care about the
subject matter.

Having said all that, a really good Pound website would be great.  And
I'd love to see more Cantos online.  By the way, any list members who
don't know about http://miyamizu.lit.kobe-u.ac.jp/~hishika/pound.htm
should go have a look at it.

Cheers, Tim