EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 07:31:31 -0500
    "Machiavelli was a propagandist for Action. For him, as for M. Sartre today, or for Marinetti ('the father of Italian Fascism') yesterday, we only exist when we act. And action in this context means action of a material and mechanistic type. Those 'political ideas' which 'alone seem to have existence' are adumbrations of action.
     But such principles as these I have combated, since the first days of my public life, when I led a band of hecklers into the Dore' Gallery in Bond Street where Marinetti was leturing.
    The vitalism with which Futurism was drenched, or with which Surrealism is charged, has no attractions for me. And when those philosophies emerge in politics, they produce in me the same sensations as they do in the arts or in literature."

Wyndham Lewis, in _Rude Assignment_, Chapter XXX.

"A great deal of _avant-garde_ propaganda appeared to me pretentious and silly; and I heartily detested, and had violently combated, Marinetti's _anti-passe'isme_, and dynamism".  (ibid, chapter XXIII).

Tim Romano