EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Erik Volpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 06:05:12 -0800
Marshall McLuhan in "Understanding Media" also makes a
brief point about the rhythms of the typewriter and
its influence on poetic form. He asks what kind of
poetic influence the typewriter could have had on
Hopkins. He also goes on to discuss speed mingling
with "the cultures of prehistory with the dregs of
industrial marketeers, the nonliterate with
semi-literate, and the postliterate." Then uses W.
Lewis' "Childermass" as a model for what he calls
"accelerated media change as a kind of massacre of the
innocents."
I also agree with your statement that "The Cantos" has
influenced other writers as a group of interconnecting
short poems. Last year, my for my undergraduate senior
seminar the topic of the class was "The Composite
Novel": a group of short interelating stories that
"can" also exist as a whole. Earlier this week I posed
a question to the listserv regarding the influence
Pound had on Faulkner (only one person was kind enough
to respond). Faulkner's "Go Down, Moses" serves as a
perfect example for your statement that "The Cantos"
influenced other writers in developing not long poems,
but short composite stories and poems. Oppen's poetry
also has this element-"Of Being Numerous"? Other
composite novels? Woolf's Monday or Tuesday.
Canterbury Tales?
Dubliners.
Katherine Mansfield "A German Pension"

Thanks