EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
William Stoneking <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 08:21:32 -0500
Re: "Late-nineteenth-century America was crazy about dialect. . . . But
dialect
was also at the heart of anxious debates about the moral degeneration of
urban life, the impact of foreign immigration, the black presence in white
society, and the female influence on masculine authority."

I call members' attentions to my long (two part) article on Melbourne poet
Pi O, whose dialect poems owe so much to Pound.... there is a discussion of
Pi O's poetics vis a vis Pound as well as his use of dialect, and samples of
his work at  http://suite101.com/welcome.cfm/performance_poetry

Sincerely

Billy Marshall Stoneking