EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:41:33 -0400
Since we're telling anecdotes about "PC"...

About 20 years ago, I was working as a lowly grad student in the offices of
the American Studies Assn at the University of Pennsylvania, and somehow
found myself giving a report  at the plenary session of the biennial
convention in Minneapolis (while also doing odd jobs such as making sure
there was enough fruit cocktail to go around at the luncheon and helping
overseas members with travel connections).  I had been the
moderator/amanuensis for several sessions attended by delegates from many
"third world" countries.  The prevailing sentiment among these delegates was
that they did not want All Things American forced upon them but wanted to
take from this culture, society, and government only what was good, or what
they perceived as good for them, and to say no-thank-you to the rest.  At
the plenary session,  the main thrust of my little here's-how-it-went speech
was the desire expressed by the delegates for cultural autonomy and
self-determination.  During the course of my remarks, I happened to refer to
these "third world" countries as "some of the poorest countries of the
world" or something like that.  When I was finished speaking, a delegate
from some foreign country--I think it was Pakistan--but certainly not one of
the delegates at the sessions I had moderated--demanded that Dr. Romano take
back the word "poorest" and that it be stricken from the official record of
the proceedings!

Tim Romano

P.S.   The British delegation in their journal thanked the president of the
American Association for hosting the convention, and me, in particular, for
my "ubiquity".