EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 08:18:44 EDT
In a message dated 06/04/2000 5:14:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 I don't think it can be a simple matter of finding one quote to prove that
 Pound believed in the Constitution or in Fascism.  One has to look at the
 broad picture.  Now, if one wants to truly understand Pound's political
 philosophy, one should read the complete Radio Rome Speeches.  Have you done
 that?  >>

in the first place, we're not talking about "one quote."  that much, at
least, is clear.  and no one has said that Pound didn't believe in fascism,
least of all me.  however, on the issue of the Radio Rome speeches, which I,
and probably everyone else on this list has read -- and really, although I've
read them all, one only needs to read one or two to catch the essence -- we
get right to the heart of things:  I take my cue from the poetry of Pound,
because I think the poetry transcends the poet -- you do not.  what you can't
get through your head is that others who've read what you have read do not
come to the same conclusions that you do; you seem to be on a mission to
prove that Pound was a fascist, anti-Semite, sexist, etc., and little else.
as I've said, I don't know anyone who doesn't accept the fact that Pound was
a fascist, or that Pound was anti-Semetic, at times virulently so.  clearly
he was both.  but to insist that this is the only thing worth talking about,
or that these failings inform everything that he thought and did is, to me,
plainly wrong.  and don't bother to deny that you are insisting that his
failings are the only thing worth discussing -- I don't see how anyone who
reads your voluminous and obsessive posts objectively could draw any other
conclusion.  but let me restate for the record that the issue under
discussion is not whether Pound was fascistic of anti-Semitic, but whether
he's was as rotten you say he is.  I don't think so.

joe brennan