EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Patricia Cockram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 19:09:03 -0500
At 08:43 PM 2/18/99 -0500, Christopher K. Coffman wrote:
<snip>
>Is the idea of the fugue, although often dismissed as confusing by
>critics, applicable to smaller segments of the work as well as the work
>as a whole?  In other words, is it reasonable to look at parts of one
>particular Canto in terms of this form (as I suspect), or does it only
>work when groups of Cantos are considered in relation to one another?

I think so.  Look at Stuart McDougal, _Ezra Pound and the Troubadour
Tradition_, 104-105 for a couple of Pound quotes from 1911 (New Age)
regarding Arnaut Daniel.  I think they give an idea of what Pound meant by
fugal.  It also might be worth while to look at (if you haven't already) his
thoughts on horizontal harmony in the Treatise on Harmony.

best regards,
Patricia