EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
En Lin Wei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 22:37:32 PDT
>From:    Adolfo Loss <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: A question for Mr. Wei
>
>May I ask Mr Wei one question:  Does exist a government in the
>planet that reflects your political preferences?

I will restate, in more specific terms, a previous response to a similar
question.  The answer is YES.

But first let us clarify what we mean by a government on the planet.  Do we
mean 1) the government of a nation, 2) the government of a province within a
nation, or 3) the government of some other smaller entity.

My own view regarding the problem of "bad government" is that the large
multinational corporation tends to erode the practice of democracy on all
levels.  I think first that corporations (all economic entities, in fact)
should be run on a democractic basis.

One good example of this is the Mondragon Cooperative Corporation, in
Mondragon, in the Basque Province in Spain, which is run on the basis of
cooperativist (mutualist) democratic principles.

To learn more about it go to:

http://www.mcc.es

The principles and practices are described in detail.

Until all industry is democratised, the possibilites of large-scale
democracy are severely limited

As Justice Brandeis said, "We can either have large concentrations of
wealth, or we can have democracy.  We cannot have both."

On the provincial level, one of the best governments is that of Kerela in
Southern India, where wealth has been very well redistributed, infant
mortality is low, life expectancy is quite high (compared to the Asian
average), and literacy is almost one hundred per cent.

Other governments I admire are those of Costa Rica, and the nations of
Scandinavia ( Norway, Finland, Sweden, and Denmark), though these are far
from perfect.  Too much concentration of power, in nations like the US,
Russia, Japan, England, Germany, and (to a somewhat lesser degree) France,
causes corruption of the democratic practices.

That is a short answer to a very difficult question.   Pound, of course,
favored the governments of fascist Italy, Nazi Germany, and Imperial Japan,
through much of his life.  We must come to terms with that fact and make the
necessary judgments (not solely with regard to Pound's texts) but with
regard to our conceptions of Good Government, which  a careful reading of
Pound, and a comparative study of systems, should compel us to make.

--Wei