EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 May 2000 19:34:46 -0400
When I was an undergrad, I used Tolkein's edition (borrowed from the
library's shelves) of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight when writing my
undergrad thesis.  I read the 14th c. poem over Christmas break in front of
a smoky wood fire in a mountain cabin; the temperature outside was -20
degrees F, so I spent a lot of time in front of that fire. More than ten
years later, I took the book from the library shelves, opened it, and it
still smelled of wood smoke! And it wasn't my imagination. SGGK is a great
poem--that no one had borrowed the book for over a decade says nothing about
the poem.

So what if they're dusty!
Tim Romano