EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
"R.Gancie/C.Parcelli" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 11:08:44 -0500
Charlie,

I've been away tending a sick relative where there is no computer and I must return
soon. But before I go I'll attempt a response.

The Pound quote is naive. Its naive because it presupposes somewhere within the
U.S. kleptocratic system even the remotest possibility for integrity and honest
appraisal. Ironically, it is the same sort of naivete that En Lin Wei brought to
this argument while CONDEMNING Kung.

In reference to U.S. foreign policy, it is wholly pro-active and aggressive. Even
when it is not openly aggressive its inevitable underlying ulterior motives run
counter to the purist ethic posited by Pound. I was going to give you one example
but 50 immediately sprang to mind. So I'll quickly give three.

The recent uproar about the CIA use of torture!!!?? as though SAVAK, Salvadoran and
Guatemalan death squads, assault on AIM, Phoenix, MKULTRA, the KCIA and the other
thousands of indigenous U.S. and trained for export torturers never existed. As
though the School of the Americas (name now changed to something less memorabe)
never existed solely to train people in the use of torture. And its naive to think
otherwise noy by fiat but by history. Pound's prescription? Doesn't even register
with these guys. He was held for the radio broadcasts, not the Cantos. They didn't
give a rat's ass about the Cantos. Too beautiful. Not pragmatic.

Ted Shackley died last week. In our studies, Joe Brennan and I have been bumping
into Shackley since Vietnam, the Phoenix program and protecting Vang Pao's raw
opium trade out of the Golden Triangle. Shackley once justified his actions as
fighting communism. Running coke with the Medillin did help fight communiism in
that it provided black funding for the self-defense forces and "secret" U.S.
commando units operating in Colombia in there actions against the FMLN and ELN.
Kung through Pound would have been at best laughable under these circumstances.
Now, think of another world class murderer recently dead---Richard Helms.

Then there is the advertisement here for the new privatized Virginia Electric Power
Company, NVEPC(sic?). They got themselves an add. The add shows a rather large
house, in Albertian persepective, two floors, perhaps 10 or 12 windows across on
each floor and all of the windows show lights burning behind them in a not so
subtle orgy of oil consumption. The narrative over this obscene scene talks of how
the company has every intention of protecting the right of the American consumer to
have 30 lights and appliances burning at once. The narrative can best be described
as militaristic and in another age might have made sense to a middle class German
or a Brit at the height of Empyre. Yet, we have to endure career liars like Don
Rumsfeld, in high positions, telling us and convincing most that an attack on Iraq
is not about oil. That the U.S. sponsored attempts at a coup in Venezuela are not
about oil, not that it even gets to this most obvious of conclusions in the stooge
press, we have here. Forgotten (or simply not known) are the histories of
Indonesia/ Eats Timor and Somalia vis a vis the black gold. Christ, the power
company in their add is attempting to link the two, war and oil,  in the viewers
mind using techniques from Edward Bernays classic 1928 work, Propaganda. And
succeeding in creating that Chimera of Divine Right in an asinine American public.
The Vietnamese poet Phan Van Tri wrote in his poem the Mosquito vis a vis the
French colonialists: "When a convenient swatter comes my way, I'll swat you without
a blink." 9-11. No?

And then there's the naive tone of isolation in Pound's Kung. But I've got to run.
I won't be near a computer for 2 days. Carlo Parcelli

Apologies for the single draft.