EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Timothy P Redman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 12:27:44 -0400
Sorry for the late reply, but I've been out of town for six weeks.  I
don't think Pound wrote much if any poetry after his health crisis of
the early sixties, though he did occasionally write some prose.

                                                        Tim Redman

On Fri, 22 May 1998 13:43:44 -0400 Daniel Pearlman
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> When I visited EP, Olga, and Mary (in their separate
> residences, of course) in 1968, it was either Olga
> or Mary who confided that Pound had not written any
> new poetry since 1960.  If recent scholarship proves
> otherwise, I bow to it.
>
> However, one has to bear in mind what may not be
> sufficiently known: that Olga, in Pound's later years,
> became not only EP's spokesperson, but to some
> degree his ghost writer.  I forget which book it is
> right now, but there is an introductory page to a late
> collection of EP's that mentions Jung as a source of
> Pound's artistic inspiration.  This Intro appears to
> be by Pound.  More probably, however, it was written
> by Olga--with Pound's "consent," of course--but I
> don't think he cared much to argue at that point.
>
> In any case, by the late 60's, Olga had become EP's
> alter ego.  In fact, except for my initial one-hour
> meeting with Pound *alone*, Olga almost never let
> Pound answer a direct question from me.  Maybe she
> was trying to save his energy, or maybe she was
> embarrassed at the slowness of his own responses,
> but there were times when EP was on the verge of
> responding that Olga cut in--and that was the end
> of it.  In fact, it got to the embarrassing point
> of my asking *Olga* questions that I wanted to
> direct to Pound!  It was as if EP wasn't even there!
> (I don't think he gave a damn.  He was extremely
> grateful to Olga for keeping him going at that
> point.)
>
> ==Dan
> Dan Pearlman                    Office: Department of English
> 102 Blackstone Blvd. #5                 University of Rhode Island
> Providence, RI 02906                    Kingston, RI 02881
> Tel.: 401 453-3027                      Tel.: 401 874-4659
> email: [log in to unmask]            Fax:  401 874-2580

Tim Redman
School of Arts and Humanities, JO 31
University of Texas at Dallas
P.O. Box 830688