EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 05:07:39 -0700
----------
>From: Dirk Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: In Praise of Achilles, was Re: how hermetic?
>Date: Fri, Aug 3, 2001, 9:07 PM
>

> "Then we went crying down to the ship with heavy sheep and bodies and set
> sail on the ocean."  What the hell, might as well read Pound that way, eh?

    No, of course not. He just wouldn't be the same without those good olde
King James / Quaker "thee's, thou's and thy's. But if you got all the way to
Line 10 of "The Iliad" I'm impressed. Actually it's about Line 5, "Dios d'
eteleieto Boulay," And bully, bully still on picking up on the middle voice
although the aetiology of this prime mover doesn't seem to be changed by it.
    But can anyone remember where Pound wrote something to the effect that a
man was reluctant to approach a classic through pages and pages of grammar?
(Excuse the poor paraphrasing)

Charles Moyer