EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Ian Kluge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2001 16:54:42 -0700
What Leon Surette writes below reasonably indicates that Pound's
anti-Semitism was stupid, that is, short-sighted, unfeeling, ungenerous
but - and please correct me if I'm wrong - there is nothing to indicate that
it had any murderous or even criminal intent. Is there anything in Pound's
work that allows us to reasonably conclude he would have looked on Auschwitz
with approval?

Certainly he believed the "Protocols" and similar clap-trap but having
stupid beliefs does not make a man an accomplice to murder even though
others are motivated to murder by the same lunacies.  He expresses no
remorse for his anti-Semtic views after the Holocaust becomes better known
because his own views had nothing to do with the actual Holocaust.  To
implicate Pound in the Holocaust is not only illogical but unjust.

Pound's anti-Semitism is shameful and despicable enough; there is no need to
paint him blacker than he is. Unreasonable accusations lead to unreasonable
defensive re-actions and this does not serve the more important goal of
understanding why Pound became anti-Semitic in the first place.
I have never known an anti-Semite (and with my German last name, I still
meet a few who make silly Goldhagian assumptions about Germans and Jews...)
who adopts such views for purely intellectual reasons.

Best wishes,

Ian Kluge