EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 07:23:30 -0400
Wei,
Where does the British writer Wyndham Lewis "fully endorse" fascism?   Lewis
explicitly states that he prefers the "muddle" of democracy; if memory
serves (it has been almost 15 years since I read his novels, criticism, and
polemical works) he makes this statement in The Art of Being Ruled.  His
1939 book, The Hitler Cult, is hardly an endorsement of fascism.
Tim Romano

Wei claims:

> .... But Pound was the only major American literary figure (excepting
> perhaps Lewis) who fully endorsed fascism.  While many  European
> intellectuals were fleeing fascism (or supporting the underground, like
> Sartre and Camus), Pound went to tremendous lengths to give his moral and
> intellectual energy to propagating the fascist ideology.  No other
American