EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
En Lin Wei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 06:05:32 GMT
"Francis P. Gavin" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<<Subject: Re: Pound's Psychology and Empire

(deep inhalation)

BUT...

(sound of a concertina swells like a sob in the background, it soon drowns
out everything else, including the steady chirp of crickets)>>

You titled this post, "Re:  Pound's Psychology and Empire".  I wonder if you
could be moved to write on that topic, or make a more detailed statement
regarding Pound.  I think many, including myself, would be interested in
what you have to say.

Regarding the issue of "drowning of out of voices", I would respectfully
suggest that you need to think more about the nature of the internet.  I
mentioned this issue before, but there was no reply.  So I will try to
illustrate my point of view in a slightly different way.

What your are suggesting is analagous to the following:  Any time one person
prints a book that is drowning out the voice of someone else who has already
printed a book.  Or if someone makes a radio broadcast this week, that is
drowning out the voice of someone who made a broadcast last week.

You should reconsider the nature of the medium.  Or perhaps you could
explain how one post "drowns out another".  Since posts are asynchronous,
and because individuals are free to read (or not read) any particular post,
it is difficult to imagine how any drowning out can occur.

But again, the subject is Pound.  The subject of drowning out voices is
important in connection with Pound, in light of Pound's belief that fascist
governments had the right to decide what voices should or should not be
heard in universities, in print, on the airwaves, and in public venues.
Pound agreed with Radio Rome's policy that his voice should be heard, while
the voices of independent trade unionists, democrats, advocates of women's
rights, anti-imperialists, and other dissenters, like Gramsci, should be
stifled outright.  People were not merely drowned out; they were jailed, and
in many cases murdered.

If it is a matter of principle for you that voices should not be drowned
out, how do you analyze Pound's position vis-a-vis, free speech?  And if you
are concerned that your opinions (or the voices of others who might share
your view) are not being heard, then why not express your point of view?
You are a free agent, and you need not complain about the lack of a forum in
which to air your views.

Respectfully yours,

Wei