EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne Pounds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:12:16 +0900
1. The open letter is also in <Impact>, Noel Stock's collection of EP
essays
from the 1940s

2. If you're searching indices, note the various spellings: Tretyakow
(Pound's
spelling)/Tertyakow/Tret $B!G (Bjakov

3.Unable to read Russian, the only info I ever found on T is from an
Italian
lit. encyclopedia. If you know of any Western European books that
discuss him,
I'd like to know. Here's the one entry i found, as abbreviated in my
notes:
*Tret $B!G (Bjakov, Sergej Michajlovic (1892- ), Russian writer (died in
prison 1939
in Stalinist purge--ironic datum!), theatrical producer (collaborated
with
Eisenstein, translated and popularized Brecht) and stage designer. Part
of
various literary groups, friend of Mayakovsky, active as essayist and
literary
theorist [formalism??]. Wrote futurist poetry [Pausa di Ferro 1919] and
drama.
Arrested 1937, died 1939,  $B!H (Brehabilitated $B!I (B 1956. [source: <La piccola
treccani>
1997]

4. I have a long list of libraries that have FRONT. I'd be happy to send
it
back channel.

5. FRONT was one of serveral left reviews EP was contributing to in the
early
30s. I could also send a list of these.

6. I discuss EP's response to T in my essay "A Dash of Barbarism: EP and
Gino Saviotti in <The Indice>, 1930-31," which is posted at my home page
http://www.cl.aoyama.ac.jp/~wayne/pound/pound.html

6. Finally, I would like to know if there is any evidence of Tret $B!G (Bjakov
traveling to Italy or having contact with Italian artists.

Wayne Pounds
Tokyo