EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Gerald Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gerald Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 23:02:41 -0600
Can Pound's monetary beliefs be stated; Pound did not support the gold
standard, nor did
he object to fiat money, but believed a nation's currency should be issued
interest free and
be a demurrage currency? Would not this resolve a currency system that must
terminate itself?

It appears to me the technology was not available during Pound's lifetime to
implement
such a monetary system in an industrial society, but now technology exists
and can be
implemented within a paperless monetary system.

There are approximately sixty local currency systems in the U.S., Canada and
other
locations which are interest free, some having employed a demurrage
currency. Does these
reflect Pound's monetary ideal?

Gerald Steen