EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Robert E. Kibler" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert E Kibler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 May 1998 14:29:59 -0400
On Sun, 24 May 1998 20:15:57 +0900 wrote...

Yes--seems to me Pound gives more lipservice to Khayamm/Fitsgerald's work than
used it as a direct reference--it was an innovative translation or imitation
for the period--but the archaisms you mention could be found in many 19th
century sources--Swinburne was full of them, for just one example, as well as
being a feature of many attempts of translators to find that middle ground
between past and present. Pound followed Rossetti early, and as a good sense of
how R and P operated as translators, you might read Rossetti's intro to his
trans of Dantes La Vita Nuova.  Unless you have some strong specific sense in
which Fitzgerald's work (true, Khayamm was a Poundian polumetis intellectual,
as were some of the stronger and more obvious models for Pound, such as
Callimachus, and Fitz a moderate innovator) really influenced Pound, I don't
buy it.

Didn't anyone receive my Thursday post  about Omar Khayyam? FitzGerald's