EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Mon, 18 May 1998 19:36:46 -0400
Fellow Poundians:

In a fit of chronological affections a few nights ago I started reading
the "collected shorter poems of ezra pound" (New Directions, '76, ed.
Michael J. King) for the first time (me being a self-professed neophyte
of Pound, and deciding to begin at the beginning) and was instantly
somewhat disheartened by the opening lines of "Grace Before Song" (1st
poem in A Lume Spento, pg 7):

     Lord God of heaven that with mercy dight
Th' alternate prayer wheel of the night and light
Eternal hath to thee . . .

Not so much the fact that I wasn't entranced by the rest of the poem
(which I was, re "rain drops in the sea surge" imagery) but I was more
disheartened by the fact that I can't make out the syntax, let alone the
MEANING of the three lines quoted above.  "Dight" put me off at first,
naturally, but I found it in my Webster's all right: "archaic: to dress,
adorn".  That much is okay.  But what does the rest *mean*?

Thanks in advance to all who boot me in this business.  I'm not chafing
in protest against the intentional archaism in Pound's earlier poems, I
just want to know what it bloody MEANS.  And mayhaps this will lead to a
discussion of Pound's earlier poems, which would be interesting in
itself, and a remedy to the silence on the list.

Thanks again to all.

Cheers, Michael Kicey

"you love in spite of, not because of"
                      -Lucas Klein