EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jim Strachan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 22:17:00 -0800
On Mon, 30 Mar 1998 19:02:55 Robert E Kibler wrote...

what does Kenner talk about?

okay...here's part of the blurb from the back of the book:

Human beings have a need to know; in order to know, we need to see and feel
- or, as the German poet Goethe put it, to "see with an eye that can feel,
feel with a hand that can see." And so we go elsewhere.
...literary critic Hugh Kenner provocatively examines Western culture's
insatiable need for stimulation encountered elsewhere. That "elsewhereness"
in turn informs much of Western art and literature.
Kenner traces this trend from the eighteenth century's Grand Tour, wherein
wealthy young Englishmen travelled Europe before embarking on their career,
to the self-imposed exile of modernist writers, to the disembodied global
journeys the Internet avails us today.

It's interesting to think of this list as an "elsewhere community."
Jim