EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Eric Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 09:16:17 EDT
In a message dated 5/16/00 5:30:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 I need some recommendations for the best translation of Dante's Inferno.

Pound thought highly of Laurence Binyon's translation, easily available in
The Portable Dante.  He also liked the old bilingual edition with Dent's
translation.  I love the Binyon version.  The Portable Dante also has Dante
Gabriel Rossetti's beautiful translation of La Vita Nuova, which Pound
considered the best place to begin reading Dante.  (T. S. Eliot considered
that the worst place to start reading Dante.)