EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jim Strachan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 22:13:49 -0800
At 09:31 PM 1/28/98 -0500, you wrote:
>how did everyone become interested in pound?
>myself:
>my love of poetry eventually (and i'd think quite naturally) led me to him
>at a young age (as i have already refered to).
>just interested.
>jeff.

Good general question; should get some of us other lurkers out here. My
first Pound experience was probably "Hugh Selwyn Mauberly" in college. That
would be back in '77 or '78. Earlier than this, in high school, I had a
very progressive grade 10 english teacher who showed us films on Ginsberg &
Ferlinghetti & played the records of Simon & Garfunkle, but did not, to the
best of my recollection, teach any Pound. I do remember Stevens' "Emperor
of Ice Cream" & stuff by e.e. cummings
My next major Pound experience was at SFU in Burnaby B.C., I never
participated at the institution, although I had a couple of friends who
took english with Robin Blaser (SFU & Pound lost out when Robin retired a
few yrs ago). (As an aside one of the friends continued to grad school -
his interest was Ford Maddox Ford - he dropped grad school...went to law
school...became a lawyer...hated  being a lawyer & is now a born-again
anarchist with his own webpage. Sorry for the length of this aside.)Back to
the SFU thing: what it was was an extracurricular activity in which all
those students interested in a reading of the cantos would meet weekly, for
a year, with Robin as moderator & major reference & go through it canto by
canto...I sat in on a couple of those sessions. What I learned there was
that reading the cantos is an education...the ezuversity.

jim
----

>        There are no hierarchies, no infinite, no such many as mass,
>        there are only
>        eyes in all heads
>        to be looked out of
>
>                             -charles olson, from "letter 6" (of the
maximus                                    poems)