From:
"O'Kane, Peggy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
O'Kane, Peggy
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2015 14:17:58 +0000
I put this on twitter.
Wow! Reading Round Up #MaineRRU2015 already over 245 registrants . Go to http://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/services/rru/index.shtml ... to pick your workshops and register.

Peggy O'Kane
Coordinator of Public Services
Maine State Library
207 287-5605
@MaineStLibrary

-----Original Message-----
From: Maine Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Clark, Deborah
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2015 9:09 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MELIBS-L] Exciting Reading Round-up Workshops Coming April 9

Wow! The RRU registrations are pouring in. We already have over 245 signed up for the conference so if you are thinking of attending, don't delay. Go to http://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/services/rru/index.shtml to pick your workshops and register. Remember, your registration is NOT confirmed until we have received your payment of $75.

Here is a sample of some of the stimulating workshop sessions planned:

The Health Effects of Screen Time on Young Children Pediatrician, Kathleen Herlihy, MD will discuss the pros and cons of using media in the classroom and with young children, focusing on the medical implications of screen time on this population. Learn about the effects of new technologies on memory and learning and the challenges for children being raised in this media-rich world.

Books & Bytes: Connecting Readers through Apps and Websites School library teacher Jennifer Kelley Reed helps you find new ways to engage young readers and develop literacy skills with stimulating e-books and apps that extend reading and comprehension. See how to use technology to enhance students' communication skills and manage technology-filled learning environments.

Makerspace in Any Space!
Children's librarians Cindy Wall and Lynn Pawloski introduce you to maker-based programming. Maker programs, involving self-production of technology, crafts and more, provide a new approach to literacy learning and encourage collaboration among participants regardless of library programming budget or space. Cindy and Lynn are co-authors of the book The Maker Cookbook: Recipes for Children's and 'Tween Library Programs. I saw them present at the NERTCL Conference last spring and they were fantastic!  See you April 9. Deb

Deborah A. Clark, Consultant
Maine State Library
Southern Maine Library District
Portland Public Library, Third Floor
5 Monument Square
Portland, ME 04101
(207)871-1765
1-800-649-7696
Fax: (207)871-1703

"Great Libraries Make Great Communities"