ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Kevin Tompkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 11:13:24 -0500
Hi gang!

I just had to pass on some things  I gleaned from an article that
appeared in today's edition of the Portsmouth Herald (sorry, they don't
have a home page).  In an article talking about Shawn's Walsh's views on
olympic-sized ice surfaces (titled "Maine's Walsh insists bigger ice
isn't always better").

It is mentioned that Sean Matile almost attended Maine.  In fact, he
could very well have ended up a Black Bear (Maine evidently was his
first choice) but for a mixup involving his transcript.  Thus, he was
denied admission to Maine but was admitted to UNH when the grade error
was subsequently corrected (oh well...).

The article also said that Walsh thinks the ideal ice size should be 200
by 90 (not the 200 by 100 of Towse or the 200 by 85 of Maine's Alfond).
He said that Northeastern's Matthews Arena has the right size (200 by
90) but not the right shape.  His justification for this argument is
that the bigger surfaces do no allow for tight situtational hockey.  He
said, "There's no depth in the corners.  It's a terrible game."

One other note from the article...  Mark Mowers will miss this weekend's
games with UML according to Dick Umile.  Umile also went on to state
that the hit by Guite was "nothing deliberate".  He went on to say,
"He's not skating, but he may return to the ice next week.  He's still
got a little bit of a headache and it's really up to the doctors."

just some things I thought were worth passing on...

As always,
Kevin

  Kevin C. Tompkins                  Boston Technology, Inc.
  phone/vmx = 1-800-866-2678(x8740)  [log in to unmask]
  "Ya do....  what ya gotta do...  so... JUST DO IT!!!!!"