ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2008 22:20:45 +0000
I was there with a small crowd of well-wishers ...  Maybe 1500?

• Though Bob Corkum and Dan Kerluck we're on the benches, I didn't see any bet-your-last-dollar All-Americans on the ice.
• But for a few flashes, the play was workman-like.  However, everyone seemed to loosen-up in the shootout ... Lots of fun for players and fans alike.
• The format was 2 25-minute periods plus an entire team shootout.
• Several players played 2-way ... That is, alternating for blue and white teams. ;-)
• With so many 1st-year players, I'm not sure we learned much about how HEA play will go.
• I think the defense can be very good quite quickly.
• Goalies Wilson, Seeley, and Darling were all OK, with Darling excellent on low shots and maybe suspect upstairs.
• I'd say the team is a bit taller and heavier this year.
• There are lots of available season tickets ... Time to step up if you want to support the team.
• Upperclassmen stood out on occasion due to their experience.
• 1st-year players stood out on occasion trying things that won't work at this level, however, I think the vision (passing to a teammate) is better with several of the new players.
• I like the new scoreboards, not for their design but for function ... The play was shown using several fixed and handheld cameras on the center ice screens, with game status at ends and some at center ice.  The optimist in me likes the 1st game performance; the pessimist in me thinks they will revert to advertising boards.
• PLEASE stop the rapidly flashing "goal" and "power play"!  Very annoying and perhaps dangerous to some.
• I'll let and hope others will comment on player abilities and performance, but will offer that some of the interesting new players are the swedes, Namec, Hegarty and Swallow.  Unfortunately, Swallow was injured late in the game.  I hope he has a quick rehab,  for his sake and for the impact he could have on the team.  Also, Payson, now from Surry, nee Bangor, looks considerably improved.

Cheers, Wayne
Section GG

Quoting JA...
Did anyone here attend the Blue White game?
and care to comment?
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile