ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 10:22:59 EST
Cathy writes..
>Is it a good policy to broadcast player injuries in this medium?
>
>I know of some folks very aggravated by this, who have taken the trouble to
>contact me with their arguments, which range from issues of privacy to giving
>information to the enemy to charges of tabloid press!
>
>I wonder how everyone else feels about this issue?

I'm of the opinion that the person worried about this is way off base.

There is no privacy issue as the coaching staff or players normally give
this info to the media and we're just passing it along.

There is little or no advantage to the opponent.  One of the "very
aggravated" approached me recently suggesting an opposing player could
take advantage of a hurting player.  Hockey's too fast.  How do you take
advantage of a hurting ankle or hip?  Check the player?  That's what
they want to do anyway.

On the other hand, if I'm privy to private information because of my
personal relationship with someone, I would take care to not make
private information public unless I knew the individual didn't mind my
doing so.  A tabloid might be a little short of morals and honesty in
this area.  I don't see that any ME-Hockey participants looking like
tabloid writers!

I'm of the opinion that the person worried about this is way off base.

regards,
Wayne Smith -- [log in to unmask] -- Old Town Landing