ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
james acheson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2007 07:37:58 -0700
Geee... let me play devil's advocate here... the devil
being the head of  Hockey East  and a couple HE
referees.

When I asked about JUST what you mentioned, that
Hockey East dropped the new rules initiative, I was
told by the refs that they had not done so and that
the calls were being made just as they are in the NHL
and the AHL, and when I asked why hockey east "let's
them play" and the WCHA and other leagues call the
little ones, I was told that there was absolutely no
difference between the conferences, or the other
leagues.

When I saw Conrad Hache calling lines in an AHL game
(with Greg Moore playing) I was shocked to see that
every time a stick came up parallel to the ice surface
and made any kind of contact with an opponent, hooking
was called whether or not progress was impeded.  Ditto
whenever a free hand was taken off a stick and made
contact with an opponent.  It is absolutely clear that
the rules are different in the pros.

I am with you Spiros, there is NO reason to allow
cheating and reward the clutching and hooking.  The
game is much more fun to watch without it.

Can you imagine what Teddy and Michel might have done
against Michigan State had they been allowed to move
last season?   Also, as a wise ass, I have to ask,
where Bret Tyler would be right now if the hooking
were not allowed...  The next jersey we have made up
might just possibly be a Maine 44 with the name plate
reading  THE HOOK.

--- Spiros Polemis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

---------------------------------
James, don't be too surprised that Mike took a hooking
minor. Rememberthat the NCAA is lagging behind all the
pro leagues and the Canadianjunior leagues (not sure
about the USA juniors) in the tight calling ofsuch
penalties. There is a unified effort, except in the
NCAA, toencourage more offense and allow skilled
players to demonstrate theirmagic. And it is certainly
working.

When the NCAA adopted the tighter rules interpretation
a few seasonsback, there was immediate loud whining
from the fans and the teamscomplaining that the
officials should "let them play the game" due tothe
large number of penalties called. It was said that the
tightercalls "interrupted the flow of the game". So,
instead of forcing theplayers to change their style to
conform to the new situation, the NCAAdropped the
tighter rule interpretations mid-season. Lastseason if
you watched a pro game then immediately watched an
NCAAcontest, it seemed as if the college game was just
a lot of hooking,grabbing, and obstruction. The
college game inhibits the skilledforwards. The
permissive officiating actually allows less
skilledplayers who cannot keep up to indeed interrupt
the flow of the gamewith their hooks, grabs and picks.

And one more point, since I'm still on my soapbox: We
don't need largergoal dimensions to encourage offense.
And let's have four on-iceofficials as was used in
some games last season. Did you notice howmany goals
Maine scored in games with four refs? Go look it up.
Can youtell which type of officiating I prefer?

Back to Mike. When a player, even a gifted one such as
Mike Lundin,first hits the ice in a pro situation, it
will require an adjustment.He is certainly up to the
task. We wish him great success. He was a joyto watch
playing for the Black Bears.

--Spiros

Got a little couch potato?