ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
The Chesleys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:31:38 -0400
I just have to jump in here.

Maine did not "choke away a 2-0 lead".  Maine was beaten by the best
team in the country.  Michigan State's win over BC proves it IMhO.
(Small "h" because I'm only marginally humble)

I thought that given BC's amazing goal differential and having watched
them play, that they were the best team in the country and had a very
high probability of not being beaten in the tournament.

I am proud that Maine gave Michigan State such a great game.  And I
agree with Barry Melrose on his comparison of Maine and Michigan State.
He said that Maine was an oil painting and that Michigan was a crayon
drawing.  (I can hear Jim laughing about that one)  Michigan won on
grit, determination, and stamina against Maine and against BC.  And I am
proud that Maine was at least beaten by the national champion.

I have to admit, though, I didn't realize how good Michigan was until I
saw the championship game.  That game really put Michigan into
perspective for me.   It is not usual for grit, determination, and
stamina to overcome skating, passing, stick handling and coaching.  But
when it happens in two games in a row it is meaningful especially
against Maine and BC.

The best team does not always win.  But in this case they did.  And get
over it people!  Just because you make it to the Frozen Four does NOT
mean that you are the best team in the country.  Coaches and players can
do only so much.  When Wisconsin won the championship they were the best
team in the country and they deserved to win it and no one was likely to
beat them short of a lot of luck.

It is not "choking" to be beaten by a better team.

I am a Maine fan through and through.  But I have watched, coached, and
played enough hockey (and other sports) to know that it's ok to loose to
a better team as long as you played your best game.  Second-guessing
coaching decisions etc. after the fact only subtracts for the overall
enjoyment of the sport IMHO.  And sometimes it's hard to play your best
game against a team that you are pretty sure is going to beat you
anyway.  I've played in games where I knew that we were going to loose
by 10 goals and it wasn't anything that we had control of.   Well we had
some control, I suppose over whether the score would be 13-2 or 12-3
etc. But when we played a team like that and when we scored our
celebration was as if we had won the game or even the tournament.  It's
not about "winning".  It's about competing hard and accomplishing more
than you thought that you might be able to do.  That's where the
enjoyment in playing sports is.  I wish it were more like that for more
people who are just watching.   Of course the media doesn't help it much
with their stupid attitude that the only medal that matters is the gold
one.   If you really watch competitors you will notice that what matters
to them is accomplishing a personal best.  Don't let the stupid media
people influence your attitude and spoil your fun as a fan!

I feel great about this team and I am so proud that Maine got to the
Frozen Four yet again and was able to play a really exciting game with
the team that would win it all!

I will be sad if Teddy leaves.  I really have enjoyed watching him play
and I was looking forward to watching him develop into the great player
that I'm sure he will become.  Maybe he will eventually wind up with the
Bruins and I can watch him all the time.  :)

Also, one final note.  You can't change the past.  There is no use in
worrying and fretting about it.  You can learn though and plan for the
future.