ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 12:58:34 -0400
Happy Friday!

While the season is over there are a number of Maine Hockey folks
making news.

First and foremost Tim Maxwell has decided to leave Maine as reported
in today's BDN.  Tim stated that Maine's style on defense did not suit
his more offensive game.  This is an unfortunate loss for Maine, as he
showed promise, and while we all know we need to put the puck in the
net with more regularity his small frame worked against him.  We
witnessed how long it took Zab to play on a regular basis and Tim was
in the same boat, but evidently lacked the confidence or did not
believe that his situation would change next year.  He is quoted as
saying he is looking to transfer to another D-I school.  His style is
similar to the Minnesota or UNH D, so we'll see what happens.

Greg Cronin is all set to take over the Head job at Northeastern, so
they go from one former Maine asst. to another.  In my opinion he did a
good job while at Maine in a very difficult situation after Shawn's
University imposed suspension.  I did think at times that he was way to
hard on Alfie, who was enduring a difficult freshman year, but his
experience since that point will prove beneficial to Northeastern.

Speaking of coaches Campbell Blair is among a list of 5 or so
candidates for the Head Coaching job at Canisius.  It is an impressive
group that includes Stan Moore who coached at Union and last year led
Colgate on an interim basis and former Iona Head Coach Frank Bretti.  I
wish Campbell good luck, and we certainly know his loss would have an
impact!

Speaking of folks with Maine ties, what a joy it was to watch the games
last night and listen to Maine's Gary Thorne call the action.  As
someone who was fortunate enough to be at Maine when Gary was calling
the games on WABI, and on occasion share a hotel room with Larry
Mahoney and Gary on the road, when I was calling them for WMEB, he was
as impressive away from the arena as he was on the air.  He did not
hesitate to share a tip, or news with those of us calling the game for
the college station.  I guess he knew we had a much bigger audience
(HA!)!

Have a great weekend, personally I wish I was in Columbus watching our
Black Bears, but after watching North Dakota in Worcester two weeks ago
in person, and last night on TV, I am not sure we would have had the
answers for the way they are playing!  So I'll save my travel expenses
and see you in Milwaukee!

Bob Fitta '83