ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jeff and Tracy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:44:11 -0600
A good friend of mine (a BC guy) said the same thing.  Maine was the better team last night, no question.  But thats what happens in hockey.  I was meaning to ask what happened to Mushaluk.  Was it an official cut? (like should have been done last year).  I missed the second ot as I had a game.  When mine was over it was the end of the first for the other game.

I like the way they played last night, there was definately some improvement from the last time I saw them play. Seemed like the puck was always being put to the net instead of the "one pass too many" stuff.

>From: james acheson <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Sat Mar 19 11:31:55 CST 2005
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Final.... BC 2, Maine 1 (2 OT)

>I agree that Maine was the better team last night... Maine had many more chances, although none of the breakaways that BC had.... and Maine controlled the play a lot more than BC did.  I think that BC did what denver did last year... they out-Mained Maine. The upsides I saw last night included.Greg Moore knows how to turn it on!  He was flying like I have never seen him do before.  He would have helped the team by finishing a few checks, but he certainly was hustling. Derek Damon pasted a BC player into the boards... not a great achievement in itself, but when he was called for boarding Eaves at the Heights a couple weeks ago, my only comment was... "well Hansen got that one wrong... Damon has never and will never hit anyone hard enough to be called for boarding... he does not have it in him"   Glad to know that I am wrong, he does have it in him. The biggest upside to the game last night was Billy Ryan  (unfortunately for Jimmy Howard who was absolutely stellar... he gets little credit from me... he played like he was expected to,  he might have turned in the best performance I have ever seen from a college goalie, ever)  Billy Ryan showed that can do what he wants to with the puck and make really good defensemen look bad.  I have seen him make Merrimack and Provedence defense look like they were standing still, but until last night he did not make fools out of the elite defensive teams, last night he toyed with the D a few times.... that was the second best thing Billy did last night.  (One time, Billy stick handled through 2 defenders while skating backwards in the middle of the face off circles... I have NEVER seen Gretzky TRY that maneuver!)  BUT, the best thing he did, is he showed that he CAN pass like Levielle.  I do not remember who he passed to, but last night he let g! o a last second pass to a teammate coming over the blue line, by passing it around a defenseman who was about to hit him, hard to explain, but it was a beautiful pass and he set up a scoring opportunity.  I look forward to some more gre
e ice, Michigan has to look out!  (that is my prediction, anyway... Maine-Michigan in Amherst... see you there) and for all of you who did not like my complaning about Mushaluck incessantly... I am going to start complaning about Mike Hamilton, and ask that he he gets cut! I have waited all year for him to play up to his potential, I thought he would do it come playoff time... he has 3 more games to do it... and if he is not going to put the puck in the net like last year, he needs to start hitting people.  (  the kid has thighs (quads ) like tree trunks... surely as big as his waist or bigger... the kid is HUGE... if he hit people and used his size he would be a force.) (alright, I will not ask that he gets cut, but he has potential, and he is not using it.)