ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 19:06:50 -0800
Here are the quotes from the Michigan press release:

You can read the whole release at:
http://www.mgoblue.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=10618

---
Q U O T E S

Michigan Head Coach Red Berenson
On the entire selection process ... "Some of the coaches are more
academic then I am, they are more involved in the process. I am more
involved in finding out who we play and getting to ready to play."

On facing Maine in the opening round ... "Maine is a good team and they
are having a great season. I saw them as a top four team most of the
year, until the tournament when they dropped out. I could see them as a
No. 1 seed if they won their first round. I know they have a lot of
seniors, a lot of good forwards."

On preparing players for another regional at Yost ... "It's a different
team, a different opponent, a different season, but it's still the same
opportunity, too. Hosting the regionals is an advantage but you still
need to play well. That's what happened last year, we played well --
that's number one."

On Colorado College ... "They are bringing the best team in the
country, in my mind, to Yost. The fans are going to get to see the No.
1 team in the West, but really they could be the No. 1 team in the
country. That will be a formidable opponent for Wayne State."

On the influence of winning the CCHA Tournament on the Midwest Regional
... "We've seen it work both ways. We've lost in the tournament and
bounced back and played well in the regional games. You just need to
take the situation and make the best of it. I think we need to build on
the momentum and the emotion we had last night. I think it's good, we
feel a lot better and we are more confident. I think the team knows
what they have to do, and what they can do against tough opponents."

Senior Forward Jed Ortmeyer
On Michigan's draw in Midwest Regional ... "What can you say, we got a
tough draw. We knew we'd get a tough draw, but we're at home and we
have the fans. We're going to have to beat them anyways, we might as
well do it at Yost."

On first-round opponent Maine ... "We know nothing. We'll have to get
some videos this week and study them. We haven't seen them all year but
we know they are obviously a good team."

On Michigan's seeding ... "We really didn't have that much of an idea
coming in. We thought we might get a two seed after winning last night.
But we can't argue with it, all we can do is go out and play."

Senior Forward John Shouneyia
On Maine ... "We knew we weren't going to get an easy game, and we know
they are a higher seed than us. Everyone likes Maine a lot and we think
they are going to be a great team and give us everything they've got.
We need to be ready for that and prepare well this week.

On Yost's atmosphere ... "I think that anyone who steps into Yost, in
this atmosphere, is going to be a little bit surprised. I'm sure
they've played under tough conditions before though."

On history between Michigan and Maine in the NCAA Tournament ...
"Personally, going back to freshman year and they knocked us out, so
personally I think some of us owe them. As a team we know the history
has gone way back."

On the team's confidence coming into the tournament ... "It was really
important for us. It's something we've talked about all year, winning
the playoffs and then coming into the stretch run and feeling good
about ourselves. But that's all over now, so we just need to get hot
again."