ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:11:42 +0000
Just to add my opinion to this topic, I must admit that
I'm a bit torn.  I agree with Nonni that the Olympics
are supposed to be all about the amateurs.  It wasn't as
much the battle of the Cold War nations in 1980 as it
was about the idea that a bunch of college kids beat the
paid professionals of the Russian Army team that made
that game so amazing.

However, I love the NHL and I was so disappointed that
in Nagano the players were a bunch of superstars who
went out there for themselves and that's why they lost.
This year I watched several games and can say that I saw
a much greater effort by the teams to play as teams.
The gold medal game was a great game.  There was some
great hockey going on and I think that this could have a
potentially large effect on the popularity of hockey
here in the US.  Why is it that the NHL coverage on ABC
and FOX doesn't start until after the NFL season is
over....popularity.  I think the level of play seen in
Salt Lake City just might make the NHL more popular.  I
hope!

I loved watching the games this year because they did
play good hockey - and how about them Germans (not many
big names there!) But if I had my choice I would much
rather see all nations send true amateurs in each
sport....from hockey to soccer to basketball to curling
(if there such a difference between a professional and
amateur curler!)