ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 13:45:41 -0500
At 01:11 PM 12/9/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm not convinced Maine is a better team with Prestin on the ice. The
>reason being is he doesn't seem to control his temper. Their is no doubt he
>can bring alot to the table, booming shot, physical D and nice touch on
>passes but he hurts the team by his high emotions. I want him to play, I
>like his physical play within the rules but I dislike what he did to Tony.
>Its one thing to take a stupid penalty, whether its roughing or hitting
>after the whistle but quite a different thing to take a guys head
>off.Sitting a few games might help in that control.just my 2 cents.

I agree wholeheartedly with Jon that Maine is not necessarily a better team
with Prestin on the ice. It doesn't seem to me that having to kill a 5
minute major for one player's recklessness and lack of control and
discipline is "good for the team." But even more than that, I don't think
whether he has talent or not should really be the issue. His conduct while
wearing a Maine jersey and being a representative of the Maine program
should be. I have always had pride in our players and the way they conduct
themselves on and off the ice. I have felt no pride in watching Prestin's
actions on not one, not two, but the three occasions previously sited. I
personally don't feel that he has demonstrated that he deserves to wear the
Maine jersey with his pattern of behavior. At the very least, sitting him
out for the FL series is warranted. How much slack should one player who has
exhibited such poor sportsmanship be given? How many more instances will be
enough? Send a message NOW to the team and the hockey community that Maine
simply does not condone or tolerate such behavior. I would rather lose
without him than win with him. I know that's a harsh way to put it, but that
is how deeply disturbing his conduct has been at least to me and to others
who have posted their concerns. If he can't get his temper under control in
the next game he plays, then let him play hockey somewhere else where the
standards aren't as high as they always have been and should be--at the
Maine we all want to be proud of!!!! JMHO