ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 19:59:09 -0500
Dave Wollstadt writes:

>I would very much like to see UMaine join the growing number of college hockey
>programs that broadcast their games over the 'net, and given WMEB's enthusiasm
>for the project, I don't understand why the Athletic Department hasn't allowed
>them to proceed.

Your last point seems to infer that you know the Maine Athletic Department
is now in a position to decide on allowing future Broadcast.com coverage of
the team.

This seems to contradict earlier postings which inferred that University
sources had OK'd the coverage, but WZON was holding up the deal.  Posts
predating that had said that WMEB was going to go on the 'Net, but then the
WZON information came out, seemingly moving the student station to the
sidelines.

Bob Thomas (our Bear Hockey website guru) wrote the next day:

>I know, as far as UMaine Hockey is concerned, this issue has been before
>the Athletic Department since last Summer. I know because I started the
>process by contacting, at that time AudioNet, but now it is
>broadcast.com. I was told that it is pretty much a turn-key operation.
>For a set service contract fee broadcast.com would acquire the signal
>from it's source, make the necessary connections and advertise the
>Internet link. Depending on the length of the service contract the per
>game cost to the U was $100. The Friends of Maine Hockey put enough in
>to our operating budget for the 1998 - 1999 season to broadcast all
>games, home and away, plus the Hockey East Tournament and the NCAA
>Tournament. We were told by broadcast.com that since the deal involved a
>University department the service contract would have to be signed by a
>University official. That is where it sits...as far as I know. No
>contract has been signed. No deal struck. Nothing done.

What is correct ?  Who is the final decision-maker on 'Net coverage for
Maine Hockey ?  How can that person be contacted to indicate our $upport
for the coverage ?

Could this get straightened out so that a decision is FINALLY made ?

Definitive information greatly appreciated.

While watching Maine tonite, I would rather listen over Broadcast.com and
turn the Fox audio down.  It would be worth it if WZON had a septic tank
cleaning service ad on, for instance, while at the same that Krog for Hobey
drivel ran, eh ?

Dan Doucette

***  Isn't it fitting someone named Garth Snow is playing  ***
***            for a hockey team in Canada   ???           ***