ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 12:34:22 -0500
Jacob Metzler writes:
>As we all witnessed yesterday, it was the defense that needed to be
>pulled.

Was it?  Here are some interesting stats for discussion..

Sunday's Third period:
GOALS:  Northeastern 3, Maine 2
SHOTS ON GOAL:  Northeastern 4, Maine 15
SHOTS ATTEMPTED(any shot, blocked, wide or on goal):
     Northeastern 5, Maine 24

Also, look at Alfie's stats for the game:
36:30 minutes played
Faced 11 shots
Allowed 4 goals
Made 7 saves

Now, if you would have told me that Maine would be up a goal going into
the third vs. Northeastern and hold them to 5 attempts with Alfie in
net I'd say Maine wins the game (I'd have no doubts).

Was the defense stellar, certainly not, but the goaltending was
absolutely terrible, especially Michaud.  Defense held them to 5
attempts, can't ask for much more than that.  It was one of those games
where everything Northeastern put on net went in.

On the other side, let's also remember Maine had two goals disallowed
in this game.  Stevie's pseduo-breakway goal did go in and according to
Coach Walsh, so did the goal with 2:40 to go that Bunyon was out of
position for.

Stevie's quote is dead on.  Maine should have won (9-7) and also should
have lost (7 goals allowed).
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]

"Any idiot can face a crisis -- it's this day-to-day living that wears
you out."
                                        - Anton Chekhov