ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 15:10:03 EST
Making myself CRYSTAL CLEAR, the game could be made safer for the players, and
maybe that would make it a little less interesting for the viewers. (-: I say
too bad. (-:

Injuries are an envitability and sometimes happen inadvertently in a seemingly
inoccuous play. But, the severity of injuries is because of how the game is
PLAYED today! Not so in the early years of the sport!

The rules should insure safety against major injuries. This is not the case.
I'll be the first one to stand up and say I love a good clean hit. And,
sometimes even those will do it, injure beyond a bruised muscle or torn
ligament, or smashed bone and cause, severe, irrevocable damage.

As Cory LaRose's Dad said in a previous post, penalties need to show the way.
Untill we have a better officiating system and a more compassionate and player
friendly governing association our boys will endure needless abuse.

I'll never forget watching my Jason trying out for a junior A team his junior
year of high school. I won't say which team. I sat there and watched while
this complete BULLY desimated Jason with a hit from behind that was so brutal,
so uneccessary. Then he proceeded a shift or two later to hit on him again.
The coaching staff said and did nothing. I sat in horror. MY JASON was on the
ice in a heap and couldn't get up. NO one came to help him. He finally got up
and made his way off the ice. His back had been badly bruised from numerous
hits to his back with a cross check. I personally thought the BULLY would
break his stick on Jason's back. This did not happen. KUDOS for all that milk
I forced in to him. (-:

Several men, some Dads, walked by me after and commented how out of line that
was and that they were surprised that no coach said anythng other than to pat
the ASSHOLE on the back, as, if to say good hit.

I was SEEING RED. (-:

The ASSHOLE was just lucky to get out of the arena without answering to me!
(-:

If this is what HOCKEY is about, then I'll take my female sentementalities and
watch Women's Hockey.

And many of you, you know who you are — would probably say....DO IT! (-:

The facts are today that Pro-Scouts are watching US COLLEGE over Canadian
Major Junior because that arena of play there is even more of a MEAT MARKET,
Don Cherry slug-em-drag-em -down stuff.

I think HOCKEY needs to clean up its act.

I can go watch amateur wrestlers perform if I want some cheap -jive -talk and
below the belt hits! (-:

VICKI PRICE