From:
Jason Fenimore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Fenimore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2014 18:34:15 -0400
Actually, I don't believe that Ruth was going to tell the titles the
offending parties had checked out but only the amount of replacement and the
person's name (which is harsh but may be the only way in some cases).

I might recommend that the warning you send out go first to the patrons with
the long overdue materials with a caveat explaining where you intend to
publish and when--giving sufficient time for conscience to kick in. There is
also a big possibility that many of the patrons no longer live at the
address you have.

The amnesty idea is a good one. We do it here every October: if a patron
brings in a non-perishable food item their fine is erased. We then give it
to our local food pantry. It has been very successful; averaging 600-700 lbs
of food and a check (for those who don't have any fines but just want to
help--and there are many) that's usually above $500. It gives me hope that
not all is lost every year we do it.

I hope you come up with some solution that is beneficial to you-and if it
is, please let us know because you've hit on a problem that is universal to
public libraries (the academics have it easy--they just don't graduate the
offending students)

Jason Fenimore
Reference Librarian
Louis B. Goodall Mem. Library