ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 22:24:53 -0500
Deron Treadwell wrote:

> At 01:00 AM 12/1/97 -0500, Dave Hendrickson wrote:
> >Well, I thought the USCHO article (as opposed to the nonsense on the
> >message board) was balanced, although I may be biased since I wrote
> >it.  :-)
>
> Dave,
>
> Can you comment on the hit.  Was it simply a 5 min hit from behind or was
> it more or less?  As an objective observer of this game I am very
> interested in your assesment of the play.

Unfortunately, I wasn't looking at Mowers until the instant before it
happened.  One of the things that I like to do is look at things away
from the puck, especially when there is no immediate goal-scoring
possibility.  Additionally, the hit happened on the press box side,
which meant that the boards blocked out all but the first second that I
saw.  I would have had a much better view if it had been on the opposing
side.

As a result, I'm not much of an "expert witness."  From my limited
perspective, it was hit from behind, but the "viciousness" of which I
really can't comment on.

I will add that since I'd been finishing up a USCHO feature on Travis
Roy, the hit on Mowers became even more chilling.  That was a very long
15 minutes.  I've never seen a crowd go from such happiness to such
fear.

Dave