ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"(Shawna Giguere)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 22:08:45 -0500
In a message dated 97-11-25 09:24:14 EST, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< The Maine administration has supported a person (Walsh) who has
<<demonstrated that he has, at best, questionable ethics.

Careful, a statement like that can apply to the whole US.  Look at who got
re-elected President.  :-)

<<As a prospective student I might wonder in what other areas the Maine
administration could not be trusted, including representations of other
aspects of the school. >>

I have not read the entire article that started this discussion so I'm basing
my opinions on what I read in the original post and what I understand as a
citizen of Maine.

First, IMHO, with the exception of athletes, I don't believe "many" students
pick a school based on a coach of an athletic program; when this does happen
I would think it would happen at schools that have much more publicity around
their other athletic programs.  (i.e DUKE, UCLA, Syracuse, Michigan, etc..
the ones that get alot of exposure through basketball and football. -  as we
all know, Hockey is growing in appreciation and support but it does not have
the following that these other sports have, unfortunately :-(

Second, how could something that happened in the last 2-3 years have an
impact on enrollment declining over an 8-year period?

I think it is important for everyone to understand that substantial cuts were
made to the funding of the University of Maine program within our state over
the last several years.  This in itself would cause significant enrollment
decreases.  Degree programs were eliminated or slashed so deeply that they
may as well have been eliminated.  I recall 4-5 years ago friends telling me
they were one year into a four year program and found out it was going to be
eliminated at the end of that year because it was to expensive to buy
equipment to bring the technology within the program up-to-date.  In that
program alone Freshmen, Sophomores, and Juniors would have been required to
either switch their course of study or switch colleges if they wanted to
continue in that major.

Question:  Was this article specifically about declining enrollment at UM of
Orono or was it the University System as a whole which includes numerous
sites around the state?

Third, unfortunately, most everyone will always come back to this topic and
how it was/wasn't handled at UM; it is easier for some people to focus on the
past and the problems then move on to the future and the possibilities.
 Decisions were made (right, wrong or indifferent) and they are over with.
 Why continually bring this topic back up 2+years after it has occurred.  Do
you think you can change it now? or Do you think the outcome will somehow be
different?

There's a saying  "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".  You may
never know when those stones may come back at you.  I sincerely hope that
other programs do not have to go through what Maine has gone through over the
last few years, however if you do, I hope you handle the adversity in much
the same manner that our players did.  They have probably acted more grown up
and learned more through this whole endeavor then many fans or "adults" have.

my .02,

Shawna