ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2007 08:53:06 -0800
So BU comes to Orono and sweeps Maine at home for the first time since
1986.. wow!

My wife suggested that perhaps we should have refrained from upgrading
the lighting, but then again we were having trouble winning at home
before then.

I see from the Maine Sunday Telegram article this morning
(http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/sports/college/hockey/070114umhock.html)
that there was a confrontation between Whitehead and the officiating
crew after the game prompting Whitehead to quip:  "I was there to try
and help him get his head through the door," said Whitehead. "I was
just trying to be helpful."

I didn't get to see the officiating at Saturday's game, (shooting the
puck after the whistle says hello), but I did see the game on TV Friday
and it certainly wasn't the officals fault that Bishop played terrible
and couldn't stop a soccer ball.

It is hard to figure this team out.  Once again we seem to be on a
rollercoaster ride where inconsistency rules the days. (unbeaten
streak, then lose 3, unbeaten streak, get swept at home).

Of more concern is that Maine does not yet have a win against any of
the top teams in Hockey East and are 0-5-1 in those games (UNH 0-1, BC
0-1, Vermont 0-1, BU 0-2-1).  The next four games (at Providence, home
vs. Northeastern) are critical because the next six games after that..
UNH, Vermont and BC.

How was the work ethic on Saturday?  It is truly amazing that BU was
able to shut out Maine, at home the night after beating them.  On
Friday, Maine certainly did not put forth a 60 minute effort overall
and if the news articles are to be believed this morning, Maine did not
"bring it" and then totally lost their composure.  Are they wrong?

-Deron