ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 17:33:56 -0800
http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/sports.aspx?articleid=144948&zoneid=23

Sidebar: UMaine hangs wet laundry out to dry
By Larry Mahoney
Monday, January 08, 2007 - Bangor Daily News

NORTH BILLERICA, Mass. — Eric Marsh had a dilemma that left him in an
irate mood.

The equipment manager for the University of Maine men’s hockey team was
handed bags of soaked undergarments (athletic supporters, socks,
shorts, T-shirts) just 2½ hours before the Bears’ game against UMass
Lowell at the Chelmsford Forum Saturday afternoon.

He explained that the undergarments were supposed to be washed and
dried for UMaine by the equipment people from the University of
Massachusetts Lowell.

That is a common courtesy extended by the home teams in Hockey East
when there is a two-game series, Marsh explained.

The laundry was washed but not dried.

"It was a complete screwup," said an angry Marsh. "I asked them why our
stuff was wet. They told me Lowell’s stuff was wet, too."

The River Hawks play at the Tsongas Arena, but it was being used for a
skating competition so they returned to their old rink, formerly known
as the Tully Forum.

So Marsh, his assistant Robbie Hayes, Maine fan Mike Williams, and
three of Marsh’s friends from his native Malden, Mass., brothers Frank,
David and Danny Scioli, went to work.

Aided by the unusually balmy 70-degree temperature and a healthy
southerly breeze, they constructed five clotheslines to dry the clothes
next to the arena. The clotheslines were tied to trees.

"We tied skate laces together. There was probably $20 worth of skate
laces," said Marsh. "People wonder why we bring so much stuff. This is
why."

The UMaine contingent also considered taking the wet items to a local
self-service laundry. However, uncertainty about finding a suitable
place with sufficient available dryers and the potential for being held
up by traffic or other delays, led Marsh to choose the hanging method.

Marsh said he and his staff "went out of their way" to make things
easier for the UMass Lowell equipment staff, recognizing that it wasn’t
their home rink so things were going to be more challenging for them.

"We even changed our practice time so we could do our own laundry,"
said Marsh.

Fortunately, the equipment did dry thanks to Marsh’s ingenuity and the
warm breeze.

And the Bears beat the River Hawks 5-2 to complete a weekend sweep.