ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 11:48:31 EDT
DanD replied, in part..
>--- "Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> >Goal Judges (Emphasis on officials for these positions)
>>
>>    Yea, like when was the last time a Goal Judge had any part in a
>> game
>>    besides turning a light on and off now and again.
>
>> Save some money and just get rid of them.
>>

>Hey, I have to speak up for list member John Gabarra, frequent goal
>judge at Alfond, and very knowledgeable about the great game of hockey.
>
>What we pay goal judges is much less than the technological
>alternative(s) surely demanded if we dispensed with their jobs.
>
>Take this all back if your comment was made with a dash of whimsy.

I have nothing against goal judges ...  I've done it many times at lower
levels.  I'm just saying the position DOES NOT MATTER.  It is silly to
have Goal Judges to supposedly be part of the officials crew and yet be
completely ignored by the on-ice officials.  Let an on-ice official or
the scoreboard operator turn on the red scoring light.

Now, allow the goal judge have a real part in the game as an extra set
of eyes, with an easy, quite, unobtrusive communication path to the
on-ice officials and I'll take it back.  But it won't happen.

>BTW, pardon the new address.  My ISP is converting me to ADSL and
>I'm in transitional limbo until software glitches are fixed.  Anyone
>know about Open Transport problems with DSL service ??

   DSL is fairly tough to setup right, for some reason.  Most ISPs are
   just getting into it and the telcos don't always provide the best
   support, as they're tending to have ramp-up problems also.  (all
   2nd-hand).  On the other hand, everyone I've talked with has been
   very satisfied *once* it gets setup right.

cheers, wayne