ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:32:00 -0400
Regarding Shawn and UMASS Cathy and Wayne wrote

"Shawn will go to whatever situation presents itself THAT IS BEST FOR HIS
FAMILY.  He would not be Shawn if he didn't do the responsible thing for his
wife and kids.  However, quality of life factors hugely into that equation
with them, so I doubt "Zoo-Mass" would tempt him too awfully much.

"On Walsh, I wasn't reporting that Shawn was interviewing (he has in the
past reportedly interviewed) there, just that some people were
considering him for it.  I've been surprised for 15 years that he
continues to choose to coach at Maine.  Bully for him."

I can tell you that Shawn's name has been brought up a couple of times by a
Boston Herald reporter and UMASS alum as a "lock" to be the next coach at
UMASS, (funny since they offered the job to Umile once).  The reporter in
question is a "jerk" (sorry) by the name of Steve Buckley who a few years
back had absolutely nothing good to say about Shawn, but thought John
Calipari was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I tend to agree with Wayne that I've been surprised by his tenure.  In all
honesty I'd be both shocked and disappointed if he left for UMASS.  Shocked
because at UMASS the hockey program will always be second fiddle to
basketball and it would now seem he was not their first choice.
Disappointed because he would be in the same league and therefore competing
against for recruits and NC$$ spots.

If and when Shawn leaves I hope it's a step up, UMASS in my humble opinion
is far from that!

ON to Providence and from what I understand Players Corner Pub for pre-game
festivities a week from today.

I'm still watching the tape over and over again of Maine's 3rd period
against the Wolverines, 5 goals, that has to be the most we've had in a
period all year.  Or did we do that the first game against UNH.

Bob Fitta '83

Bob Fitta
Advertising Account Manager
Harvard Magazine