ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:36:47 EST
Bob wrote, in part..
>I'm still of the believe that the #1 seed in the East (and maybe #2
>depending on St. Lawrence) is up for grabs for the winner of the HE
>Tournament.  Maine, UNH and BU stand the best chance with BC having an
>outside chance at the #2 seed with a win.

I've tried a number of scenarios, but I can't find one that gives BC a
bye.  A Maine Friday loss and a BC HEA Championship puts BC at a tie for
4th/5th in the east.  And that's the best they can do, if SLU wins the
ECAC.  If SLU doesn't win the ECAC, then BC will do better, but if SLU
loses to Colgate, BC still finishes third in the East (to Maine and
Colgate, with the scenarios I've run).

With a BC loss Friday, a tournament upset someplace and the selection
committee allowing MAAC and CHA into the tournament consideration, might
even drop BC from NCAA selection (long-shot).  Maine, BU and UNH are in
the NCAAs no matter what.

A Maine Friday loss and a UNH HEA championship (not at all likely IMHO),
would give UNH the 2nd bye with SLU or Colgate the 1st.  Maine still
stays in the east.

All-in-all, Maine stays East no matter what and Maine can still get a
bye if it loses tomorrow, but assures a bye if it wins tomorrow.  No
need for Maine to win the championship game, but that would be nice :-)

To run your own scenarios or check mine, see

      http://www.slack.net/~whelan/tbrw/brack.shtml

>As we prepare to March to the Fleet on Providence Street (foreshadow of
>things to come?) it reminds me of my favorite March with the Black Bears.
>It was down Main Street in Lake Placid from the Holiday Inn reception to
>the Arena, while the game wasn't what we were hoping it is one of my
>favorite memories.  I still would love to see the tournament back there, we
>owned that town!

That was a grand time!  I was lucky enough to stay in a house rented
with a zillion rabid Maine fans.  We all went to the H.Inn reception and
marched up the Maine :-) Street to the Olympic arena.  Great people
these Maine fans!  And that was my first real exposure to other college
hockey fans having a great time.  NoDak fans were there, even though
their team wasn't.  Seemed strange at the time, but no longer.  Besides
time with the Meaghers, Covells, Wadleighs, Damiens and others, one of
my favorite experiences that weekend was time spent at a local pub with
the parents of soon-to-be Hobie Baker winner Rob Stauber.  Remember that
wild and funny consolation game?  Wow!

cheers to all the Maine fans at the FleetCenter, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L and Hockey3