ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 09:27:22 EST
>Where's the feedback and discussion on last nights game.  Don't leave me
>with the USCHO message board as my only resource.  ...

Heaven forbid.  I'd rather listen to someone at Pat's Tap Room at last
call than go to the USCHO message board.

I'm nobody's expert, but I'll give it a little try ...

Both teams played well, but neither played consistently.  Both teams can
apply great pressure and took turns doing just that.  Both goalies
played well.

Liscak's absence from the Heistens' line was a great blow;  the line was
an underachiever, IMHO.

The Maine seniors played very well, with few mistakes.  However, Cory,
unless I saw it wrong, made a poor choice at center ice leading to the
1st of PCs 4-on-4 goals.

Referee Bunyon was in playoff mode and Maine responded to that pretty
well (almost no interference or holding was called).  I wish Bunyon
would have called some of that and certainly wish he would have called
the more flagrant slashing (both teams).

Really my opinion, in no particular order ...

At the same time Maine is not playing well enough to win a championship,
there are strong hints that they are getting closer to the kind of play
necessary.  Players really seem to be improving at their roles.  At
times they had trouble getting the puck out of their own end and
needlessly turned it over, but they played hard to cover the mistake and
were usually successful at that.  I really don't understand how we can
in one period hit all the passes and in another period hit NONE of them.
With the exception of the 1st goal (Leger breakaway), it seemed like all
5 Maine players would stay in the defensive zone even after we gained
control of the puck.  PC pinched in and was very successful on the
forecheck.  Lots of blind (Maine) passes to a PC forechecker.  We didn't
make them pay for taking those chances.  On the other hand we caused a
number of center ice turnovers leading to great chances (and goals).

Don't get me wrong, Maine outplayed PC and had lots of scrums in front
of the net where we might have had a goal but for a good save or late,
rough defensive play.

If Bunyon calls a tight game, Maine dominates.

If B. Heisten survives his 1st couple of shifts without a penalty
tonight, I'll be surprised.  Barrett went off the ice late in the game
after receiving a vicious 2-handed slash to the forearm (no penalty).

The announced attendance of 4311 must have been tickets sold, rather
than bodies in the stands, as I'd be surprised if 4,000 were there.
Students going on break accounted for lots of this, but many season
ticket holders declined to order playoff tix and many great seats were
empty.  If you want to see the last home game of the season, come to
the Alfond tonight ... you will get in and you'll have a fine time!

Finally, even though I said little holding and interference was called,
somewhat mysteriously, Bunyon called PC for interference with 2:13
remaining in the 3rd.  I couldn't see the infraction, due to the person
standing in seat DD-1-24 :-), but it was an important event and one that
clearly disturbed Coach Pooley.  Given the muggings that were let go
earlier (both ways), Pooley had a good beef (no matter what happened)
...  and Maine a much more "comfortable" end of game play.  Walsh
getting the empty netter from a tough angle was appropo, as he and his
line had an excellent game.

Pooley and Coach Walsh apparently exchanged heated remarks at the end of
the game, many shared with Bunyon.  Could anyone hear or read lips?

Go Blue!

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L and Hockey3