ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 14:07:48 EST
My memory fails (second thing to go!), and I do not have a media guide for
the years past, but - didn't PC win here last fall?

I wish Maine would come out like they did against UNH all the time, hungry
and hard, but it seems more realistic to expect the grinding agonizing
"YIKES!!" kind of game we have seen this season.

I have concerns with both goaltending and defensive play - note I don't say
defense, but defensive play.  Of course, I realize that I am a big fan of
playing the man instead of watching the puck, and my vision is clouded by
that.  However, because of that what I have seen of play this season has
frustrated me.  Goaltending is consistent and good as long as the defensive
play is there.  However, neither of our goalies can be counted on to carry
this team, like some of our past ones.

When was the last time Maine won the Hockey East Tournament?  Who are the
possible/ probable opponents if we do end up going to beautiful MN?  I
haven't looked at the possible western pairings.  Other than travel and the
bye, would this neccessarily be a bad thing?  Maybe Magic Wayne could come up
with some ideas of who might play whom?  He amazes me with his numbers!

My favorite Providence memory - so many - PC fans are all such great folks,
quality instead of quantity - Same game as Fitta's only I spent the third
period at EMMC keeping our "surrogate son", Keith Carney, company in his
pneumonia hospital room.  Keith was miserable to NOT be playing, and his body
jerked a few times as he semi-made the plays he would have made had he just
been on the ice!  There were a number of nurses and attendants on the floor
who came in to watch with us.  Martin scored and everyone cheered except
Keith, who could barely breathe let alone shout, but his smile said enough!
Wasn't that next game in MN?  Clear boards, right?

Corey ended up 12th on the USCHO voting lists, I think.  He is a good
representative for Maine Hockey!

Nice post, BTW, lots to talk about!

GO MAINE!!

Cathy O'Hart
St Patrick's is a High Holiday in our house!