ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jeffrey Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 09:19:45 -0500
I live near Boston and on our AM sports talk station they stated that the NCAA is
considering legislation to deregulate player eligibility requirements as far as
compensation goes.  i.e.; kids can play minors and any other division or level
they want, get paid for it, and still play college hockey.  The thought is that
European players would do well under this legislation because compensation is (I
don't know for fact but I have heard) granted more easily in Europe.  This "idea"
by the NCAA just doesn't make sense.  To me it's as ridiculous as pros playing
olympics.  It takes the fun and the "accomplishment for a kid" out of the game.
I am by no means any kind of expert on this stuff and welcome constructive
criticism to this topic.

GO MAINE