ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 22:58:22 -0500
Kevin Tompkins wrote:

> Hi....
>
> The best place that I could suggest is the Lowell Brewery (I believe
> their beer is called Mill House).  At any rate, they have a HUGE
> area upstairs with pool tables, various other games (including
> mini-golf),
> darts, etc..  They also have plenty of tables for food and sometimes
> they
> even have bands (don't worry the place is big enough so you can avoid
> the noise if you don't appreciate the music).  There is also a more
> formal
> kind of restaurant downstairs for those who would like a better meal.

The Brewery is indeed one excellent choice.  You can get the good food
downstairs and then go upstairs for some pool, air hockey (including
two-on-two) and darts.  BTW, you do have to pay for these.

(Someone once observed that I was the only person they'd ever seen
sweat profusely in air hockey.  Heck, I scored 11 goals and lost, 7-6.
I scored six in the other guy's net, and five in my own.  :-(  Great
shot.  Lousy goalie.)

I would suggest that you NOT try the beer sampler before the game.  The
six beers are all delicious, but by the time you're done, it may
affect how much of the game you remember.  :-)

And it is within a couple blocks walking distance.

Another alternative is the China Buffet, which is about two miles or
so away from the Tsongas (a couple exits earlier on the Lowell
Connector).  It's all-you-can-eat for something like
$6 and has a fabulous selection of all kinds of appetizers, main
dishes, and even American foods like ice cream (six different flavors).

As an example of their appetizers, there are Peking Ravioli, three
different
types of dumplings (all delicious enough to make a grown dieter cry -- I
feel
obliged to get a minimum of three of each), some dim-sum type of
delicacy
that I forget the name of but will still remember the taste of when I'm
old and gray (okay, older and grayer), some standard fare like chicken
fingers, chicken wings, teriyaki chicken, spare ribs, onion rings,
french fries,
a salad and fruit bar, three different types of soup (hot and
sour, egg drop and another kind I've never tried)....

Well, you get the picture.

As for me, I've gotta go hit the refrigerator.  :-)

Dave